[an error occurred while processing this directive]
4 of 11
Photograph by Michael Melford
To preserve landscapes they loved—like the valley cradling Round Pond—a group of philanthropists in 1913 gave the nation a gift: 5,000 acres (2,000 hectares) on Mount Desert Island that would become the core of Acadia National Park. The park now embraces some 47,000 acres (19,000 hectares) and stretches from Schoodic Peninsula to Isle au Haut.