Another victim of ingested plastic marine litter?
Photo and caption by Bo Eide
It is hard to say if this particular seagull had plastic marine litter in its stomach when it died, but chances are it had. Worldwide, marine bird species are reported mistake floating plastic marine litter for food, and in many cases dying when ingesting it. The Laysan albatross being the most famous victim, there are still a host of other, less famous species suffering from this. This bird was found on a remote beach in Tromsø, northern Norway. Also found on the beach was many small pieces af plastic, as well as a lightbulb and a fluorescent tube. Marine litter is truly a global challenge.
Location: Tromsø, northern Norway