Blue Mosque (Istanbul)
Photo and caption by john graham graham
Completed circa 1616, the Egyptian obelisk in the foreground predates the “modern” structure by three millennia. 4th century AD Roman emperors had two such towers shipped down the Nile from Karnak, then across the Mediterranean. One went to Rome to adorn the Circus Maximus and the other, pictured here, dignified the Hippodrome of Constantinople.
Location: Istanbul, Turkey